Friday 27 March 2020

DFI Session 4: Dealing with Data

Summary of DFI 4 Dealing with Data:

  • Share - Tohatoha
  • Google form
  • Google my map
  • Slides to support
  • Sheets
  • Analyse data from spreadsheet
  • Blogging tips and labels

The last weekday of 'Term 1' under NZ's Covid-19 lock-down regulations, was our first DFI PLD through distance learning with teachers from cohorts around New Zealand such as Northland and Gisborne, using Google Hangout.  Surreal. Reality. I felt a sense of renewed energy and focus, that everything we are learning today is purposeful, it's meaningful and it's important.  It is what our whanau are expecting us to know and to produce accessible, quality education for their children so they are continuing to learn and stay on track with their progress.  I feel very privileged to have access to this professional content that is necessary to create remote learning material for our students.


For the coming weeks, I am spoilt for selection on what I could use for our kids in the coming weeks.  First up, I need to work on the 'sport site' which is work in progress where I can post a lot of these great ideas.

Today we got to learn about what it means to 'SHARE' as part of the Manaiakalani pedagogy and kaupapa.  Here's my summary and reflection on this:

SHARE
Sharing in this digital age is about a record of my learning, it is the process to 'finish my learning' that can be measured against learning outcomes. Sharing one's learning globally to an authentic audience (such as you, who is reading this post), creates more connections to receive feedback and feedforward from more than 'one teacher' in order to improve one's understanding. Sharing is another opportunity to learn and grow.

Personally, sharing my inquiry to a global audience makes me nervous at times. 'Broadcasting myself' to faces and people from places that I don't know, is an ongoing, interesting learning process for me. However by adopting a growth mindset is helpful in that by sharing my learning, it is not only a professional requirement but it also plays a huge part in my development to become an effective teacher. Learn and grow.

“In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.” (Dweck, 2015)
The growth mindset allows people to value what they’re doing regardless of the outcome. They’re tackling problems, charting new courses, working on important issues. (Dweck, 2015).

By understanding the 'share' process in using a growth mindset, I can confidently pass that thinking on to students, that 'sharing' is a part of their 'growth zone' in education and we are sharing to learn. In saying that, I need to make a personal goal of posting comments daily on students who play sport, so they can see that sport is connected to their classroom learning. 

GOOGLE FORM
I have used google form to collect entries for tournaments, for students to sign up to play for a sports team and for feedback on an event. Something new that I learnt today was how to use those responses in a spreadsheet to create charts in analysing those. One thing I need to do more often is to share a survey, post-game or post-tournament with students so I can receive their immediate feedback of that event. I haven't done that before. It would be interesting to read their perceptions and use the information to make appropriate improvements.

For my learners, I can ask the two groups that I am responsible for: House Captains and Sporty Botz monitors, to create surveys from classes for example; on what gear they would like to play with at lunchtime, what inter-house games they would like during the breaks. For the post netball season, I can use forms to collect reflections from coaches, managers and players and families.

Today I created a form for our intermediate students to use on how they are keeping active at home in their bubble. Once it's complete, the senior teacher will share the link on their class sites. Depending on the number of responses, I can share that each week before we are physically back at school.

GOOGLE MY MAP (see map below)
I can use google map to find directions to places and to map out a playing field or softball diamonds for tournaments (not to scale though!). I haven't used it like we practised today which was using data from a spreadsheet (city, country) and inserting the link of that spreadsheet to 'my map' which automatically creates pin icons on the world map, very impressive! With my learners, by using the google form for responses on a spreadsheet, we can create pin icons on the world map of where they are from, what countries they have travelled to, mark places of countries who took part in a world cup etc.

What I would like to explore more is the use of marking out the distance of areas on a map e.g. a playing field. I would use it to mark out accurately our cross country course, for athletics, how long it takes to walk from our school to games and tournaments, how far it is to walk to the nearest rugby club, the netball courts, to other local schools, the college for basketball. Our students can relate to this and I believe it will engage their interest - we can discuss metres, kilometres, making estimations, width, length, area, time and distance.

SHEETS
Most of my drive is filled with spreadsheets. I basically work off this, mainly for data entry and little else. I mainly use sheets for:
  • Netball
  • Rugby Union
  • Kiwisport
  • Basketball
  • Athletics Day
  • Cross Country Day
  • Training Schedule
  • Sports Exchanges
  • Swimming Timetable
  • Sports Teams
  • Prizegiving
  • Player of the Day
  • Coaches & Managers
But wait, there's more to spreadsheets! There are shortcuts I can use, I can find the sum and average of data, I can create charts which are valuable to share with students and whanau but I can also help learners understand this and attempt to use it as well - such as the data that House Captains and Sporty Botz monitors can collect.

I use spreadsheets in my personal life, so working out how to use it efficiently is the knowledge I can pass on to family, friends and sports clubs.

ANALYSE DATA FROM SHEETS
Here's a copy of an analysis I did of my inquiry blog. Using a Panmure Bridge's student's blog post on how to analyse her own blog, I followed her instructions to create my own. My confidence increased in knowing that if I can create something like this, I can use this with my learners. For House Captains, we can place the results from an athletics day and find out which house had placements for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for points. I can also use this to share with our whole community, how many students played in each code for a year and the age groups. I could also use the data to work out the end of year prizegiving winners. If I can create a player of the day form for each coach or manager with a 3-2-1 point system, I have an efficient way of collecting the evidence to use at the end of the year. I need to work on this one...


BLOGGING TIPS AND LABELS
Blogs need labels.  As a teacher, it is evidence of my practice that complies with the criteria of being a registered.  It's a quick way to search for a topic that could be useful to share with peers, students and whanau.  When my blog is bombarded with so many more posts to come :) the labels can help me find useful information more easily than without.

Lastly, in making an intentional effort to post comments on students who play sport for the school, I need to be making positive, thoughtful and helpful comments.

Below is my first attempt to use google my map.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Sally!
    I'm a Manaiakalani facilitator in Tairāwhiti and was online briefly with you this morning. I hope you've had a productive day! Today's session is one of my favourite in DFI and it's certainly relevant as we prepare for remote learning! Tell me more about your Sport Site? It sounds interesting - especially as you're involved in so many sports! You would have felt very comfortable in last week's Google Sheets work by the sounds of it, which is great. Did you see any new ways to use your sheets that you hadn't explored already? You mentioned wanting to comment more on learner blogs relevant to their sport. I use a sheet as a tracking document to help me see where I've put most of my effort in my commenting on others' blogs. It's a great reminder when I have put too much emphasis on one school or on specific learners. What will you do with your new knowledge next?
    All the best for a lovely weekend and it was great to see you online again.
    Amie

    ReplyDelete