Friday 20 March 2020

DFI Session 3: Media

My last two blog posts were mainly notes that I've jotted down during the DFI sessions, rather than a reflection of my learning and how I can implement that in to my professional and personal life. I will go back and re-edit those. This post is a reflection on our third session called 'Media' and what I can take away and to use as a professional and for our awesome learners.


Summary DFI 3 Media Topics today:
  • Create - Manaiakalani pedagogy & kaupapa
  • Live Streaming
  • Youtube channel
  • Playlists
  • Google draw
  • Google slides
  • Digital pepeha

Here is what I have learnt about CREATE as part of the Manaiakalani kaupapa & pedagogy:

CREATE
From today’s session I was reminded that planning for students to 'CREATE' what they have experienced
helps to engage them with the curriculum.  By teaching students to 'create' what they're learning,
assists them to become better problem solvers, collaborators and communicators. Create is a 'doing'
word, using the whole body.  It is a process of forming original ideas through exploration and discovery
(Kohl 2008).

So what does this look like on the sports field or court?  
'Play' and sports creates rich experiences.  Playing is the 'doing bit'.  Playing is the 'hook' to learning.  Students are continuously exposed to new learning opportunities when they train and play games. They are demonstrating what they have learned from trainings and exploring and discovering their vision, ideas and physical capacity as an individual and as a team-mate.  They are learning new skills, new moves and strategies, game plans, social skills, building a team culture, creating goals and contributing ideas for improvements.  By being in a team environment, it demands their thinking, their creativity and their contribution is vital because successful teams know that there is no 'I' in team.

Currently just about every game or tournament is filmed by videographers or a coach or team manager. Student editors or our Creative Space teacher produce highlights of the day and this is shared on our daily P.E.N.N school news network, also visible on our website, sports blog and archives. Our school community gets to celebrate their effort and achievement.

But the possibilities can be more. There are opportunities for individual students to use digital technology to create what they have learned as evidence to process their understanding and as another way to assess their content knowledge. For example, a student can write on their blog about their experience, they could create an animation on a google slide to re-create a special moment or highlights of the day, they could use game footage to analyse how they played as a team, moves and strategies etc.

As mentioned earlier, sport and play is already a hook to learning. As a professional, the evidence based information of implementing the 'create' part to my teaching that it makes a difference to accelerate learning progress is to intentionally plan for these opportunities. Coupled with effective teaching, this should produce better academic results.

Google Draw
I see the great value is using Google Draw for creating sports newsletters, promotional flyers,
maps for tournaments, for school sports days such as athletics and cross country. Can use the draw with live links (i.e. each time you edit a drawing, it updates this on links to other places).
Notes to remember:
  • Download as png to remove background
  • You can add notes on side bar for instructions

Google Slides
Use this to present to a crowd.
I have used Google slides for coaches and managers meetings, for lesson content, instructions for
players to register for a team and a sports hui. Today's session showed me the great potential in making
high quality presentations. I loved the idea of using post-it notes to plan what I wanted to have on each
slide (one idea per note), keeping in mind the main focus and objective of what I would like the audience
to learn, 'what's my story' - making an emotional connection with my audience.

I am encouraged by the idea of using a blank slide and various templates and themes e.g. free
templates on https://www.slidescarnival.com/. To make the slides more interesting, I can access icons
such as those found on the SlidesCarnival website, plus use different custom colours and fonts. A
helpful website to use images for slides without the background is found on www.remove.bg. You can
download an image and it removes the background around it, this is very cool. This gives me
confidence to produce better quality visuals to support my delivery.

In my role here are some examples of what I can use google slides for:
  • netball coaches and managers meeting
  • 'Meet the Coach' night
  • role of sports coordinator (for a Manaiakalani workshop)
  • personal digital pepeha
  • role of sporty botz monitor
  • house captains role
  • athletics day - staff meeting
  • cross country day - staff meeting
  • how to play rugby union, or rugby league, basketball, netball, football etc...
Notes for me to remember:
  • summarise message in a tweet size length statement
  • must have pictures on a screen to support my talk
  • have 3 main points and say the explanations
  • consistent formatting
  • better than google docs for visuals
Embed my slides on to the sport site, using the same slide.

Youtube Channel & Playlists
I would like to create playlist of songs for our whole school special events: 
  • Picnic Day
  • Cross Country Day
  • Athletics Day
  • Discos - Junior & Senior
  • Matariki Day
  • Meet the Teacher/Parent Day
  • Olympics / Commonwealth Sport Day
Reminder: No Youtube accounts for our students.  Use Blogger & Google Drive for teaching and learning.

How to Livestream
If it's worth capturing, why not livestream?  Never from Youtube - all from Google Drive
Our school has livestreamed sports games on our field which is uploaded to our website.  Families and the opposing schools can view the game if they couldn't make it.  Students can rewind and use this information to analyse the game and themselves.
We can film games livestream or organise the camera to follow a player.

Clean up tip for my GMAIL inbox:
Use: unroll.me.  You log in and edit subscriptions on one page and delete what you want to unsubscribe to.  Or you can 'add to the rollup' and read all subscribed messages/newsletters once a week.  This is useful for me as I subscribed to many publications e.g. Coach NZ, Education Gazette

The following is what I could use with my learners:
Google Draw
Examples of how my learners can use this:
  • draw a highlight of their game or of the tournament day
  • draw a portrait of their favourite sports person or team
  • for House Captains: create a poster for the Disco
  • for Sporty Botz monitors: create rules and guidelines for borrowing gear
  • examine a famous team captain, what are their qualities, quotes etc
  • create posters for a cake stall
  • create thank you cards for a coach, manager, mentor, sponsor, game organiser
Google Slides

Examples for learners:
  • create animation of your team or yourself scoring a goal or try
  • house captain pepeha and their goals for the term
  • instructions on how to pass & catch a rugby ball
  • instructions on how to pass & catch a netball
  • instructions on how to pass & catch a football
  • instructions on how to dribble a basketball
YouTube Playlists
I could create a 'Skills Playlist' for each code to share with learners:
  • How to swim - progress of skills
  • Netball
  • Rugby Union
  • Basketball
  • Rugby League
  • Football
  • Cricket
  • Athletics - Shot Put, Discus, High Jump, Sprint
  • Cross Country - Long Distance running 
Notes to remember:
  • by creating the playlist will limit distractions
  • embed on to my sport site - it is secure and students can't go to other videos online
Inspires me to create our own school playlist on "How to..." etc short video sports clips to share on our sport site and website.

The impact on using this information in my personal life...
All of the above is a revelation for my personal life.  I can be more creative in using google draw to create appealing flyers for my sports club, for promoting a sports hui, fundraisers.  I don't have to be an amazing artist or graphic designer to make one, I have the confidence to produce something that can be just as good.  It may take some practise but so does every good thing that is worth doing.

I feel excited to create a digital pepeha and think that it's a great idea for my whole family to do.  I am feeling confident to create more exciting google slides for presentations.  

Final thoughts, as we were inspired from today, it's through doing that we are learning and developing creative minds.  Be active to learn something.  Be intentional in using digital technologies to generate thinking and enable creativity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment