Monday 23 February 2015

Missing out...?

So what do you do when you have 39 boys who turn up to trial for a tag football team, and you can only pick 12?  Or about 25 girls who will trial for netball and you can only take 9, 30 boys for league and you can only choose 14?  Next week I'll begin trials for a Year 5 & 6 rippa rugby team - I'm predicting that we'd get around 40 boys and girls who will turn up, but I can only select 12 to take to a tournament next month.

So what I'm faced with, as in the case of the tag football trials - there are potentially 3 good teams we could take to a tournament, but I'm the only coach, which means that there'll be only 1 team going.  Who misses out here?

I really wish I could take them all, because I know that they'd really enjoy the experience of participating in a sports competition - I see smiles, I see tears, I see strength, I see friendship, I see confidence, I see pride, I see parents, I see grandparents, I see hugs, I see nice lunches, I hear cheers, I hear happiness.  This is what I feel that the kids are missing out on...

So what does this have to do with raising academic achievement?  I believe that some of the most powerful learning for children takes place in a sporting environment where the key competencies are fostered, especially in managing self, in thinking, in participating and contributing and in relating to others.

What do you think?

Year 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 Girls Cricket Teams
Eastern Zone Quikhit Tournament 2014

1 comment:

  1. You have and you will continue to raise academic achievement through the amazing job you do for whole schooling community. Parents in your care have moved into employment, families strengthened, relationships between home and school established, students in sporting programmes and now some in actual contracts for sporting teams, some in roles of leadership in their places of tournament. I have know this boy Tanielu ;) and peer group that understand this influence and impact you have on lives. Thank you for what you do Sally...you really are the 3P's in action...If I'd explain it further then I would be taking over your blog! Looking forward to seeing how well the children in your care progress this year!

    ReplyDelete